Thursday, September 27, 2007

Don't mention the war!





Well here we are in B&B land. The phone has been ringing off the hook (well a couple of times a week) with people wanting to stay the night in Oriental Bay whilst we are custodians of the B&B home. Only trouble is they want to stay when we have plans so so far have turned everyone down. Can't quite imagine myself as Manuel (of Basil) although Andy is quite happy at playing Sybil - swanning around and having everything done for him. If you are wondering where we are - there's the bandstand (tacky restaurant the Fisherman's table) out on the water and a block of flats directly opposite. the nest house on the left (up the hill slightly) is where we are camped. Fantastic views!

We've now been there a month and whilst it is lovely being based in the city, we miss our own home. Also the pesky cat has taken a shine to me (I'm allergic to them ) and no matter what I'm doing he comes and jumps on me - digs his claws into my trousers and gets them stuck and then whines in a high pitched yawl. B*stard. He's a big fat wimp. Last night I was up at 3am hearing a ringing of what sounded like a collar bell - Otis (that's his name - size of a lift) doesn't have one - to find next doors cat on Virginia's bed with Otis sat on the stairs cowering. He doesn't seem to do much all day except sleep and eat. We bought him a cat nip mouse which he plays with for about 2 minutes and that's his exercise. We have 3 weeks to downsize him.




I've also been struck down with illness - my first since arriving and it has been miserable. I started with a cough 2 weeks ago which has developed into bronchitis. So I'm on the antibiotics 3 x daily for another few days. It doesn't appear to have made much difference so far so we're hoping it doesn't develop into pneumonia. I'm feeling quite tired as I'm waking up 3 or 4 times nightly to hack up a lung.

On the positive front - daylight savings time arrives tomorrow. It's exciting as it means summer is on it's way. It's been lovely being able to walk home and stop for a glass of wine on the waterfront - however by the time we finish work, the sun is just starting to set. Now we have an extra hour for that glass of Pinot. We have a new favourite restaurant. Manhatten Lounge on Oriental Parade - 37 paces from the front door and great food and wine. I think location has something to do with it but if anyone is in Wellington, try it out.

The holiday plans are also afoot. Andy's sister arrives at the end of November. Initially we planned to have a long weekend away at the start of the month, however finances and high mortgage rates mean that is now on hold. However we will be going down to the south Island for 8 days and to some places that are new to us so it should be fun. Our friends are having a wedding Party in February as well in Gisbourne so we may take a week off then and have a chill out on the Coromandel Peninsula - summer will be at it's peak and will be baking.

Work is busy as always. I had my appraisal - my first in NZ. Apparantly I exceed expectations in all areas. People must have very low expectations of me then..... Hopefully there'll be a few extra $$ in it for me. No more responsibility though!! I'm already doing 4 jobs and that is plenty.

We still have OT vacancies so if anyone want's to come and join us and enjoy the lifestyle (and another summer) give me a ring. Until next time.






No comments: